Welcome

My blog highlights some of my past experiences in travel from 1978 to the present. Some of the photos are scanned slides particularly the ones of Africa. The balance were taken with my Nikon digital camera and a variety of lenses. Enjoy all you see and comments are welcome.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mountain Lodge 1973

Mountain Lodge is a private hotel on the fringe of Mount Kenya National Park, at an elevation of 7200 feet. It is laid out specifically for animal watching: all of the rooms have large windows and balconies on the side of the hotel facing the forest. A large artificial watering hole in the clearing on this side of the hotel attracts forest animals, and lights are kept on all night so the attracted animals can be easily viewed. Perhaps not the most natural wildlife viewing site in the world, but a welcome change from seeing animals only from the ubiquitous safari vehicles.

Most of these shots were taken from the hotel viewing deck along with a mini van in the bush.






















4 comments:

Leigh said...

LOVE the tilte shot. It almost looks as though it's in motion.
Also LOVE the shaft of sunshine shot.
What's going on in that last picture. It sort of looks like a public hanging. I'm sure it's not, right?

James Boehme said...

The last shot is a public market for the tourist when they come to town.

Anonymous said...

I love the rainbows, I love the waterfalls, I love Africa!

Unknown said...

The signpost lead-in photo is great - look how far your were from New York! It must have been very interesting staying at a lodge that had picture windows overlooking nature and wildlife. I love the elephant shots but if I needed to choose a favorite I would go with the one Leigh mentioned, the waterfall of rain bursting from that cloud....and the lone animal (is that a buffalo) just standing there, as if waiting for the storm to cover him. That must be a magnificent slide. wonder what this lodge is like now....maybe return someday?